Friday, May 27, 2011

Assinment 2-2 Three Icons

The three icons I chose is Mickey Mouse, Michael Jackson, and Ronald McDonald.  Mickey Mouse was created in by Walt Disney in 1928.  Mickey Mouse had his first appearance in Steamboat Willie on November 18, 1928.  The mouse has evolved from being an animated character in cartoons to becoming one of the most recognizable symbols in the world (Wikipedia, n.d.).  Mickey Mouse makes kids and adults laugh.

Mickey Mouse
Mickey Mouse.svg
Michael Jackson is the second icon I chose.  At the age of eleven Michael started as a member of the Jackson Five group with his brothers.  In the 80’s he went solo to produce number one hits such as “Thriller”, “Billie Jean”’ and “Beat It”.  Michael Jackson became known as the “King of Pop” because of his inspiration to pop music.  He sold ove 750 million albums, had 13 number one hits and won 13 grammy awards (Michael Jackson bio).

Michael Jackson in White Suit during Thriller Press Shot

The third icon I chose is Ronald McDonald.  Ronald McDonald was featured in three television ads for the first time in 1963.  He is a happy clown that took adventures with his friends in adventure land.  Ronald interacts with kids in their ever day life.  He makes them feel happy and safe.  They have since opened Ronald McDonald houses where parents can stay while visiting sick children in the hospital.

I chose these three icons because they represent different times in my life.  I have always loved Mickey Mouse as a little kid and still do as an adult.  My husband and I just went to Walt Disney World in March, 2011 for the third time and we have no kids.  I think that Mickey Mouse makes you feel happy and makes you laugh.  Michael Jackson was in my elementary years when I listened to his music.  I still love his music.  I was very devastated when he passed away.  Lastly, Ronald McDonald was just a clown that I loved to see as a child each time I went to McDonald’s.  He made me laugh.




References
Michael Jackson bio (n.d.). Retrieved May 27, 2011 from:      http://www.michaeljackson.com/us/bio.

Wikipedia, (n.d.). Mickey Mouse. Retrieved May 27, 2011 from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_Mouse.

Wikipedia, (n.d.). Ronald McDonald. Retrieved May 27, 2011 from: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ronald_mcdonald.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome post Loretta! These are probably three of the biggest pop icons ever... These are household names that are passed down from generation to generation. Everyone knows Michael, Mickey, and McDonald's! There is no set target audience because everyone knows them... they will forever have a legacy in American history!

    ReplyDelete